August 31, 2012
The new Citroen DS3 Cabio will make its World Premier at the Paris Motor Show.
At the 2012 Paris Motor Show, Citroën will unveil the latest advance in the DS line, DS3 Cabrio, a cabriolet version of the multi-award winning DS3 that uses intelligent design to make top-down driving considerably easier and more enjoyable.
Since its launch in 2010, DS3’s distinctive style and enhanced personalisation options have won the hearts and minds of both public and press. DS3 has already generated a string of awards, over 180,000 sales worldwide and a line of special editions and new versions including DS3 Racing and DS3 Ultra Prestige. A striking addition to the DS3 range, the Citroen DS3 Cabrio features all the hallmarks and thrills of DS3, with bold styling, sophisticated refinement, extensive personalisation and enjoyable handling, combined with the pleasure of al-fresco driving. Continuing DS3’s personalisation options, three soft-top roof styles will be available – black, Infinite blue and a DS Monogrammed design. An innovative 3D rear light signature and original tailgate opening action add to the refinements.
Injecting fresh modernity into the cabriolet segment, DS3 Cabrio offers drivers:
- an electrically operated roof up to motorway speeds
- the only adult 5-seater in the class
- the largest boot in the class
Citroen DS3 Cabrio: First Details
At 3.95m long, 1.71m wide and 1.46 m high, the Citroen DS3 Cabrio retains the hatchback’s compact and agile proportions. All the bold styling choices are retained, from the ‘floating’ two-tone roof and dynamic ‘shark fin’, to the sculpted front-end with its instantly recognisable LED daytime running light signature. The soft-top roof becomes a new source of personalisation, available in a range of colours and designs that add to the model’s unique personality. DS3 Cabrio owners can specify one of seven body colours with the folding roof available in three designs – black, Infinite blue and DS Monogramme. The sophisticated Infinite blue soft-top uses three different coloured threads – one of which is shiny – each reacting differently to changes in light conditions and creating delicate hues of blue and violet. The DS logo, now synonymous with refinement and style, features on the Monogramme roof in a subtle design achieved by two contrasting Jacquard grey tones with Moondust grey.
Inside, Citroen DS3 Cabrio is just as distinctive with:
- White LED ambient lighting on the ceiling-mounted console, which is home to the roof opening control
- White lighting around the instrument cluster and automatic air conditioning displays
- A high-end feel and outstanding acoustic comfort from the inner-lining of the soft-top roof
- All-new upholstery including Granit blue leather and Akinen weft available in Mistral (dark grey), Chic brown and Infinite blue
Decors on the dashboard strip, air vent surrounds and gear stick knob are also colour-coded to the body paint and soft-top. Six decors are available – grey, Brillant black, white, Carbotech, Infinite blue and Moondust grey.
The rear also features a new three-dimensional LED light signature. The all-new 3D LED tail-light technology was inspired by the designs on Citroën’s Revolte and Survolt concept cars. The central part of the light is comprised of a rectangular set of 31 LEDs and semi-reflecting mirrors that reflect the light guide into infinity. The 3D unit illuminates at night when the headlamps are turned on and in daylight during braking. A 15-LED blade on the upper part of the light emphasises the 3D unit and acts as both side and stopping lights.
In an elegant piece of detailing, the 3D light features a chrome-finished DS logo set in an embossed black DS setting. A chrome-finished handle also highlights the top of the tailgate.
The Citroen DS3 Cabrio combines the benefits of a classic cabriolet with those of a hatchback:
- The roof takes just 16 seconds to fully close, up to speeds of 120km/h (75mph). A button on the ceiling console opens the roof to three positions: intermediate, horizontal and total. Even in the horizontal setting, rear passengers get a completely clear view overhead.
- The top quality soft-top material delivers standard-setting soundproofing, comparable to that of a hatchback when closed. When the roof is open, an aerodynamic deflector net springs up to provide optimum acoustic comfort by deflecting air currents and preventing air buffeting.
- Occupant space is maintained with five adult seats, plus DS3 Cabrio features the largest boot in its class at 245-litres. Unusually for the segment, the Citroen DS3 Cabrio offers the same cabin space as the hatchback and even retains the 60/40 split-folding rear bench.
- The tailgate features an original opening mechanism, which uses a circular motion allowing owners to fully open the boot even when parked close to obstructions.
- Aerodynamics identical to that of the hatchback (SCx of 0.69 m2), which maximises performance and helps to maintain low CO2 emissions. Modifications include adding a longer spoiler and aerodynamic deflectors on the quarter-light surrounds.
With a focus on efficiency and minimising kerb weight, the Citroen DS3 Cabrio is just 25kg heavier than the hatchback – most convertibles are around 100kg more than their hatchback versions. The same rigidity, strength and agility as the hatchback are retained with identical architecture for the sides and structural reinforcements around the boot. The model’s handling remains eager and pleasurable whilst maintaining the same high levels of comfort, control and safety.
The Citroen DS3 Cabrio, produced at the Poissy production site in France, will be launched early in 2013.
© 2012, Luxurious Magazine®. All editorial content and graphics on our sites are protected by U.K and U.S. copyright, international treaties and other applicable copyright laws and may not be copied without the express permission of Luxurious Magazine®, which reserves all rights. Re-use of any of Luxurious Magazines’ editorial content and graphics for any purpose without our permission is strictly prohibited.