September 19, 2012
Precious Metal: Panerai Releases Luminor Submersible 1950 Amagnetic 3 Days Automatic Titanio
The creative energy of Officine Panerai’s Workshop of Ideas is demonstrated in the Luminor Submersible 1950 Amagnetic 3 Days Automatic Titanio, the new model which is a novel synthesis of the strict respect for traditional values and authenticity of the Panerai brand, and the continuous search for technically advanced solutions.
For Panerai, innovation is above all about functionality, and in the Luminor Submersible 1950 Amagnetic 3 Days Automatic Titanio, it is seen in its special case construction which ensures a remarkable degree of resistance to magnetic fields: 40,000 A/m (ampere per metre), a limit more than eight times greater than the value specified by the international standards of the Normes de l’Industrie Horlogère Suisse (NIHS 90-10). Such a high tolerance is achieved by the use of a special internal case made of soft iron of the highest purity, which encloses and isolates the movement, forming a Faraday cage that diverts the flow of magnetic fields. The soft iron case is immediately beneath the dial, which is made of the same material.
This case structure is useful not only in extreme environmental situations but also in daily life, in that watches are often exposed to magnetic fields generated by electric charges and currents emanating from objects in common use, such as household appliances, computers, and smartphones. Such magnetic fields can noticeably alter the rate of the watch and even stop the movement: a possibility that is virtually non-existent in the new Luminor Submersible 1950 Amagnetic 3 Days Automatic Titanio.
The soft iron internal case of the Luminor Submersible 1950 Amagnetic 3 Days Automatic Titanio is contained within a classic Luminor Submersible case of brushed titanium, fitted with the lever bridge which locks the winding crown and therefore helps in achieving water-resistance to a depth of 300 metres. The design of the watch includes a feature which is completely new in Panerai watches: applied to the rotating titanium bezel, inspired by that of the models made by Panerai for the Egyptian Navy in the 1950s, is a disc of opaque black ceramic, on which the linear and dot-shaped titanium markers are fixed. The bezel rotates only in a clockwise direction, to prevent accidental movement interfering with the measurement of the time of the dive.
Behind the quintessential black dial, with its distinctive applied linear hour markers coated with Super-LumiNova®, lies the P.9000 automatic movement, executed entirely by the Officine Panerai manufacture in Neuchâtel. With a diameter of 13¾ lignes, 28 jewels, a variable inertia balance and Incabloc® anti-shock protection, the movement is distinguished by the precision of its construction and by the two spring barrels, which are continually wound by an oscillating rotor in both directions, providing a power reserve of three days. The movement equally incorporates a convenient system for setting the hour hand which can be moved forward and backward in jumps of exactly one hour, at the same time adjusting the date display accordingly.
Luminor Submersible 1950 Amagnetic 3 Days Automatic Titanio– 47 mm
- Movement: Automatic mechanical, Panerai P.9000 calibre, executed entirely by Panerai, 13¾ lignes, 7.9 mm thick, 28 jewels, Glucydur® balance, 28,800 alternations/hour. Incabloc® anti-shock device. Power reserve 3 days, two barrels. 197 components
- Functions: Hours, minutes, small seconds, date, calculation of immersion time
- Case: Diameter 47 mm, brushed titanium
- Bezel: Anti-clockwise unidirectional rotating bezel in ceramic and brushed titanium with polished edges, graduated scale for calculating the time of immersion and ratchet click at minute intervals
- Back: Screw, titanium
- Device protecting the crown: (protected as a trademark) Brushed titanium Dial: Black with applied luminous hour markers. Date at 3 o’clock, seconds at 9 o’clock
- Crystal: Sapphire, formed of corundum, 3.2 mm thick. Anti-reflective coating
- Water-resistance: 30 bar (~ 300 metres)
- Strap: PANERAI personalised rubber strap and large-size brushed titanium buckle. Supplied with a second interchangeable strap, a tool to change the strap and a steel screwdriver
- Reference: PAM00389
- Price: £7,700.00
*The Glucydur®, Incabloc® and Super-LumiNova® trademarks are not the property of Officine Panerai.
© 2012, Luxurious Magazine®. All editorial content and graphics on our sites are protected by U.K and U.S. copyright, international treaties and other applicable copyright laws and may not be copied without the express permission of Luxurious Magazine®, which reserves all rights. Re-use of any of Luxurious Magazines’ editorial content and graphics for any purpose without our permission is strictly prohibited.