The PW1 & WW1 Argentium® Time Pieces
2011 stands out as a key milestone for Bell & Ross. The watch-making firm is bringing the first wristwatches worn during the First World War back into vogue: the PW1 (Pocket Watch 1) and its development into a wristwatch, the Vintage WW1 (Wrist Watch 1). The ultimate master watchmaker in the military field, Bell & Ross is passionate about its mission to revive the spirit of the early watches which influenced history and pay a heart-felt tribute to the past through its creations. The PW1 and WW1 Argentium® are a fantastic illustration of the unique parallel between the history of aviation and that of watch-making.
Renaissance of a Bygone Material
With the PW1 and WW1 Argentium®, Bell & Ross preserves the magic of vintage timepieces and sublimates them using the most innovative watch-making techniques: by using a new oxidation resistant alloy, Argentium®, the pioneering watchmaker is reviving a forgotten metal. Inimitable colour, magnificent lustre and unique depth: the PW1 and WW1 Argentium® are suffused with all the nobility of silver.
The Bell & Ross PW1 Répétition Minutes: An Exceptional Complications
Alongside the Tourbillon and perpetual calendar, the Répétition Minutes (Minute Repeater) is one of the three finest complications in watchmaking, a masterpiece of excellence and expertise demanding complete mastery of the art of watch-making. With the creation of the PW1 Répétition Minutes, Bell & Ross reinterprets the pocket watch, imbuing it with poetry.
A symbol of Bell & Ross’s expertise, the PW1 Répétition Minutes marks time like the clocks of the past: the hour is not read, it is heard. The purity of the melody which resonates through its high quality silver case is a pleasure to the senses. A timepiece with a complicated mechanism, it indicates the hours and minutes musically on request. A low-pitched sound is emitted for each hour, followed by a series of double low-pitched and high-pitched sounds for every five minutes elapsed. The complication is activated by pressing the button on the left-hand side of the case. In a subtle choreography, the perfectly orchestrated hammers of the additional module strike the bells of proper calibre.
The vibration of these intricate parts made up of thin steel wires produces a gentle melody. The PW1 Répétition Minutes was designed in the tradition of period watches: a manual winding mechanism, a silver case and chain and a domed crystal and dial. The «barleycorn» guilloche case back opens to reveal the ingenious mechanism. With this exceptional model, Bell & Ross offers connoisseurs and collectors a real journey back in time.
Vintage WW1 Argentium®: From Pocket Watch to Wristwatch
Created from a unique silver alloy, the WW1 Argentium® models perfectly reflect the high-quality allure of the early wristwatches. An exercise in style mastered by Bell & Ross, which in these two models demonstrates the perfect refinement of its art.
These two versions retain the characteristics specific to the WW1 collection:
- The finish of the hands and index in appliqué metal give the model a timeless refinement.
- The domed glass gives the watch a vintage look. Unlike the original, it is made from sapphire, a hard-wearing material, using perfected techniques.
- Designed in the finest watch-making tradition, the manual winding movement offers a journey back to the very roots of watch-making.
- The horns are produced like wire handles soldered to the case. The elegance of the straps harks back to the first wristwatches while being ergonomically perfect.
They stand out from the other models in the WW1 45 mm collection by their smaller diameter (41 mm), the unique lustre of their silver case and their finish:
- The sunburst dial of the silver version shimmers with opalescent reflections, blending subtly with the silver of the case to create a marvellous harmony. The hands, numerals and index marks present an elegantly sober tone-on-tone display.
- In the Ruthenium version, the deep-grey sunburst dial perfectly matches the colour of the strap to create a refined contrast with the silver of the case.
Attractive and refined down to their last details, the WW1 ARGENTIUM® models feature a range of subtly harmonious shades of grey. Marked by their elegance and optimum comfort, these timepieces will appeal to men and women looking for authenticity.
The WW1 Argentium® models are the perfect embodiment of Bell & Ross’s mission: to turn back time in order to add new treasures from the past to its collection. The firm is restoring silver to its rightful place. And by improving the properties of the metal, Bell & Ross ensures its new models are of a unique quality. Charismatic, bright and precious: the latest Vintage inspirations from Bell & Ross are born.
PW1 Repetition minutes Argentium® Technical characteristics:
- Movement: Dubois Dépraz manual winding movement. (Running time of approximately 56 hours.)
- Dial: ruthenium, sunburst, domed finish. appliqué metal index and numerals.
- Functions: hours, minutes, small second hand. 5 minutes repeater: indication, on request and musically, of hours and minutes. a low-pitched sound emitted for each hour, followed by a series of double low-pitched and high-pitched sounds for every five minutes elapsed. The complication is activated by pressing the button on the left-hand side of the case.
- Glass: anti-reflective domed sapphire.
- Case: 49 mm diameter. Argentium®. The «barleycorn» guilloche case back opens to reveal the ingenious mechanism.
- Water-resistance: 30 meters.
- Chain: silver.
WW1 Argentium® Technical characteristics:
- Movement: mechanical manual (ETA 7001).
- Case: 41 mm. Argentium®.
- Functions: hours, minutes and small second hand.
- Dial: silver or ruthenium finish. Sunburst, domed. Appliqué metal numerals and index.
- Crystal: anti-reflective sapphire.
- Water resistance: 30 meters.
- Strap: grey alligator.
- Buckle: pin. Argentium®