October 16, 2012
RJ Romain-Jerome DNA Timepiece Brings Iconic Car Back To The Present
In collaboration with the DeLorean Motor Company, RJ-Romain Jerome, the Swiss luxury watchmaker, has unveiled the new DeLorean-DNA timepiece in tribute to an iconic Eighties legend, the DeLorean automobile.
This science-fiction spiked meeting is giving birth to a limited edition featuring details strongly reminiscent of the spectacular aesthetic of the legendary car which is most well-known for its role in the ‘Back To The Future’ films. The DeLorean and its amazing design have fascinated generations of viewers.
With its long-lasting materials and reinforced safety measures, the DeLorean car was already ahead of its time when it came out in 1981. With its rear engine, gull-wing doors and brushed stainless steel bodywork, its legendary allure made a huge impression to an entire era.
It was RJ-Romain Jerome’s wish that the DeLorean-DNA timepiece remains true to the car’s aesthetic appeal. Made of brushed stainless steel, this chronograph uses the same materials as the original bodywork of the DeLorean car, of which certain elements have been melted together with the steel of the bezel. The dial is engraved with cross-strut traverses which pick up the iconic X-shaped design that has become a RJ-Romain Jerome brand signature. The ring surrounding the minute counter at 3 o’clock evokes the original design of the wheel rims, while the hands are inspired by automobile dashboards.
The small seconds dial has the same colours and look as the model’s tail-lights. A medallion engraved with a DeLorean adorns the case-back, along with the number of the watch, which is limited to 81 – a reference to the year the car was manufactured. In a final nod to the original model, the strap made of upholstery leather features anthracite grey stitching similar to the interior of the DeLorean car.
The DeLorean has remained engraved on collective memory due to its visionary concept and avant-garde design. There are only 6,500 examples left in the world, as well as a very active community of fans and owners’ clubs which have been built up around this famous car. Today, this tribe is joining that of watchmaking collectors, for an edition that pays tribute to one of the major legends in the automative industry.
Romain-Jerome DeLorean-DNA Technical Specification
- Caliber: RJ001-CH Mechanical self-winding movement
- Frequency: 28,800 A/h
- Jewelling: 23 jewels
- Power reserve: 42h
- Water resistance: 30 metres
- Functions: Central hours and minutes, small seconds at 9 o’clock, Chronograph: 30-minute counter at 3 o’clock, 12-hour counter at 6 o’clock and central seconds
- Case: Ø46mm Steel « DeLorean-DNA » medallion engraved on the case back
- Bezel: Brushed stainless steel containing elements from the original bodywork of a DeLorean sports car
- Dial: Rhodiumed and satin-brushed dial. Engraved traverses. Rhodiumed, polished and satin-brushed chronograph counters. Small seconds counter recalls the car’s tail-lights
- Hands: Rhodiumed and satin-brushed hours and minutes hands with superluminova « blue emission ». Rhodiumed chronograph second and counters’ hands inspired by automobile dashboards
- Strap: Upholstery black leather with anthracite grey stitching
- Buckle: Steel
- Quantity: Limited to 81 pieces worldwide
- Retail price: CHF 14,950 / EUR 12,900 / USD 15,900
© 2012, Luxurious Magazine®. All editorial content and graphics on our sites are protected by U.K and U.S. copyright, international treaties and other applicable copyright laws and may not be copied without the express permission of Luxurious Magazine®, which reserves all rights. Re-use of any of Luxurious Magazines’ editorial content and graphics for any purpose without our permission is strictly prohibited.