The Twenty-8-Eight Tourbillon, first launched in 2010, marked a turning point for DeWitt thanks to its calibre DW8028, incorporating the first 100% Manufacture Tourbillon movement. Its construction tends towards the classical, based on tried and tested technical parameters: 18’000 A/h, 72 hours power reserve and a spiral with a Breguet curve sequenced at 2.5 Hz.
This year’s highlight is the innovative blend of materials, with a 43 mm round case in rose gold and grade 5 Neotitanium offering remarkable lightness and robustness. Its contrasting two-tone face in anthracite grey and a galvanic black highlights the relief and draws the gaze into the very heart of the movement. The accuracy and finishing levels applied individually to each of the 27 components of the dial are a genuine work of craftsmanship.
Innovative Properties in the Twenty-8-Eight Tourbillon
Originally used in the aerospace industry, grade 5 Neotitanium is a new metal whose hardness is ten times superior to that of grade 5 Titanium. Used in fields as varied as surgery and Formula 1, it now also finds a place in the Twenty-8-Eight Tourbillon.
The material is treated directly with electro-plasma or micro-arc plasma and anodised, and not only on the surface. In fact, the piece is plunged into a high-amperage bath, a process giving it formidable properties such as excellent impact resistance, lighter weight, and a significant reduction in seizure problems as well as the elimination of all traces when touched. A groundbreaking process that demonstrates, once again, the constant innovation at work with DeWitt watches. An innovative process that demonstrates, once again, the constantly fresh audacity of DeWitt watches.
Twenty-8-Eight Tourbillon Strength and Finesse
The dial of the Twenty-8-Eight Tourbillon is all about duality! The set of columns on the upper part, create a very masculine and imposing Art Deco effect with a futuristic touch, while also evoking the image of the front of a powerful 1930’s steam engine. The lower part of the dial opens up into a large and beautiful circle symbolising wholeness, the infinite nature of energy and… the power of the feminine. However large the opening, the entrance into the heart of the beating movement is protected by a semi-transparent grille that intrigues us all the more and offers a glimpse of the tourbillon visibly beating inside. The pattern represented on the dial is a large radiating sunray that reaches right out to the sides. It is divided into two different colour zones as the Roman and Arabic numerals are placed on a circular applique in rose gold that extends over the whole dial.
Finally, for perfect balance, two hands (hours and minutes) are positioned in the centre of the dial in the shape of swords. Two little “children” appliques, each bearing shiny rings, were finally placed at 3 and 9 o’clock.
A Signature Plate for the master watchmaker
The Twenty-8-Eight Tourbillon fully complies with the very demanding finishing norms of the DeWitt Manufacture. Entirely hand-made, the finishing is here of a rare quality and can be observed through the sapphire crystal back. Meticulously angled, polished and satin-finished, the barrel and cage-bridges are finely decorated with Côtes de Genève. Two miniature “W” signatures are to be found on the crown and on the golden buckle.
A little plate, bearing the signature of the master watchmaker and placed on the barrel-bridge, further witnesses the pride and affection put into the creation of each timepiece. A direct connection is therefore established between the client and the watchmaker behind his work of art. Indeed, one particularity of DeWitt, so essential to the final quality achieved for the product, is that every watch is entirely assembled, adjusted and tested by a single master watchmaker, from A to Z.
Twenty-8-Eight Tourbillon – Classically Audacious
Offering a subtle combination of character and refinement, the design of the Twenty-8-Eight collection is sober and balanced. Presenting a slightly thinner case (10.28 mm) than the Academia collection as well as more discrete columns on its flanks, the Twenty-8-Eight collection gives a fascinating impression of lightness. The bezel is particularly interesting as its diamond-set and sand-blasted columns provide eye-catching reflections. Elegant and streamlined satin-finished lugs round off the design with perfect proportions and offer a remarkable wearing comfort. However, the strong DNA, so characteristic of DeWitt watches, remains fully recognisable.
Twenty-8-Eight Tourbillon Technical Specifications:
- CALIBRE: Movement: Mechanical manually wound movement integrating a Tourbillon manufactured by DeWitt / Functions: Hours, minutes / Reference: DW8028 / Power reserve: 72 hours / Introduction: 2010 / Vibrations: 18’000 A/h / Balance: Variable-inertia balance / Spiral: Spiral with Breguet curve sequenced at 2.5 Hz. / Escapement: 44° / angle of lift / Jewelling: 19 jewels / Diameter: 14,6’’ (33 mm) / Total height: 7.45 mm / Number of components:185
- CASE: Case: Round-shaped, adorned with DeWitt’s imperial columns on the flanks / Material: 18-carat rose gold and grade 5 Neotitanium / Diameter: 43 mm / Total thickness: 10.28 mm / Crown: 18-carat rose gold polished crown adorned with a ring made in blackened titanium featuring the “W” signature / Distance between lugs: 21 mm / Case back: Sapphire crystal, secured with screws
- DIAL: Dial: “Art Deco” Central construction composed of columns and opening up into a large circle embracing the Tourbillon movement. Semi-transparent grille reducing the opening. Large radiating sunray pattern divided in two colour tonalities, anthracite grey in the centre and galvanic black on the outside. Roman and Arabic numerals in rose gold applique. Two “children” appliques at 3 and 9 o’clock. 27 components in total, all hand-assembled / Hands: Hours and Minutes: Open-worked hands in the shape of two-edged swords
- WRISTBAND: Wristband: Alligator leather in matt black / Buckle: 18-carat rose gold pin buckle, polished, engraved “W” signature
- OTHER: Water-resistance: 30 metres
The Dewitt Twenty-8-Eight Tourbillon is limited to only 88 pieces.