Hasselblad unveils the 50MP mirrorless X1D – A Groundbreaking camera weighing less than half that of a conventional digital medium format camera
Ask a novice photographer to name a camera brand and they’ll probably say Canon or Nikon, ask a professional photographer to name a camera brand chances are they’ll say Hasselblad. The Swedish manufacturer is one of the very few camera brands that can honestly vie for top position in the ‘best of’ photography manufacturers league table.
Hasselblad does not make cameras for the everyday person on the street, they make cameras for professionals and people seriously interested in the world of photography. They have looked to the general market by dabbling in the world of luxury cameras but this was to no great effect. The luxury cameras were aimed at a very specific audience and only the very were fortunate to get their hands on them including Paul Godbold (owner of Luxurious Magazine) and the footballer David Beckham.
Recently, one of our photojournalists Swee Oh joined the illustrious roster of Hasselblad Masters by winning best photograph in the Architectural category. Prior to entering the competition, she was a fan of Hasselblad but a regular user of one of the mainstream brands. Now that she’s the proud owner of a Hasselblad, she is starting to understand just how amazing their cameras are. If the capabilities found in their recently launched medium-format cameras is anything to go by, this X1D should be something a bit special.
About the Hasselblad X1D
The Hasselblad X1D is inspired by the brand’s iconic design heritage, the camera is ergonomic and compact, offering a handling experience unlike any other. Handmade in Sweden, the X1D combines Scandinavian sensibility with a beautiful performance.
Like the iconic V System, the X1D seamlessly combines portability with some excellent optical quality for which the brand is renowned. Hasselblad has ingeniously introduced mirrorless technology to digital medium format for the first time ever, creating a precision performance camera that can sit in the palm of your hand. The 50MP CMOS sensor captures the finest details with true natural colours.
Commenting on the announcement Perry Oosting, Hasselblad CEO noted: “The X1D marks a pivotal point in Hasselblad’s rich 75-year history. This camera makes medium format photography available to a new generation of Hasselblad users, while pushing the existing limits of photography to new heights.”
A completely new family of dedicated autofocus lenses has been developed to support optical quality and portability, offering a wide range of shutter speeds and full flash synchronisation up to 1/2000th second.
Weighing just 725g and including HD video, Wi-Fi and built-in GPS, the X1D is a trusted partner and ideal travel companion. The robust exterior is dust and weatherproof, providing durability to take with you wherever you go.
The X1D has been created with passionate photographers in mind, opening up Hasselblad to a new generation of creatives. Ideal for those who want to create the highest quality medium format images with a straightforward and easy to use camera that can fit in the palm of your hand.
Hasselblad X1D Key features:
- Compact, lightweight (725g), highly portable and user-friendly medium format technology
- Large 50MP CMOS medium format sensor delivering up to 14 stops of dynamic range
- New line of XCD lenses with integral central shutter; 45mm and 90mm available at launch
- Compatible with all 12 lenses and lens accessories from the Hasselblad professional H System (adapter required)
- Multiple image format options
- High-quality XGA electronic viewfinder or high-resolution rear display with touch functionality
- A wide range of shutter speeds: 60 minutes to 1/2000th sec. with full flash synchronisation throughout the range
- An ISO range from 100 to 25,600
- Dual SD card slots, GPS and Wi-Fi
- USB 3.0 Type-C connector, Mini HDMI, Audio In/Out
- Weather and dust sealings
- HD video
- Phocus 3.1 for simple and quick raw image processing. Adobe Photoshop® and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom® compatible.
The Hasselblad X1D is priced at 7,900 EUR / 8,995 USD / 5,990 GBP
Prices stated are exclusive of VAT