In the mind of every sailor, bronze immediately evokes images associated with the sea. Vintage yachts and ships are rich in objects made of this material, which reacts to the passage of time and effects of the atmospheric by acquiring a patina which makes every single item unique.
Two years after the extraordinary international recognition given to its first watch with a bronze case, Officine Panerai presents the Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Power Reserve Automatic Bronzo, a new Special Edition produced in the same material with its eternal fascination and its decisively nautical associations.
The bronze of the Luminor 1950 case is CuSn8, an alloy of copper and tin in the pure state, highly resistant to the corrosive action of sea water and the atmosphere. As well as its high degree of structural robustness, this material preserves its original warm tone while acquiring, with the passage of time, a seasoned appearance as a result of the patina which covers it. This patina is the result of the bronze’s reaction to external agents (air, humidity, heat and wear); it does not alter the properties of the material but simply marks the ageing process, making each example unique and personalised.
The size of the case is the same as that of the classic of Panerai watches, 47 mm in diameter, and classic too is the bridge device with the locking device which seal the winding crown. Immediately evident on the dial of the Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Power Reserve Automatic Bronzo is the important new feature which distinguishes this model: the display of the power reserve of three days on an arc-shaped indicator positioned at four o’clock. This very useful function joins the date display, the device for zeroing the seconds hand that is invaluable when synchronising the watch with a reference time signal, and the system for rapidly adjusting the time, the hand of which can be moved forward or backwards in jumps of one hour without affecting the running of the watch.
The dark green dial, with applied hour markers, is surrounded by a studded bezel in bronze with the scale for measuring the length of the dive. The bezel is connected to the case by a special system designed and patented by Officine Panerai to ensure that the ratchet moves precisely from one click to the next.
The sapphire crystal back is fixed by a titanium ring, a metal chosen for its non-allergenic characteristics. Visible through the back is the Panerai P.9002 calibre, developed and produced entirely in the Officine Panerai manufacture in Neuchâtel. Consisting of 237 component parts, the P.9002 automatic calibre has an oscillating weight which rotates in both directions winding two spring barrels connected in series which accumulate a power reserve of three days. The balance wheel oscillates at a frequency of 28,800 alternations/hour and it is the variable inertia type, fitted with four regulating screws arranged radially.
The Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Power Reserve Automatic Bronzo (PAM00507) is water-resistant to 30 bar (300 metres) and is completed by a brown leather strap with stitching of a subtly nautical character and a titanium buckle. It is a Special Edition produced in only 1,000 units.
- Movement: Automatic mechanical, Panerai P.9002 calibre, executed entirely by Panerai, 13¾ lignes, 7.9 mm thick, 29 jewels, Glucydur® balance, 28,800 alternations/hour. Incabloc® anti-shock device. Power reserve 3 days, two barrels. 237 components.
- Functions: Hours, minutes, small seconds, date, seconds reset, power reserve indicator, and calculation of immersion time.
- Case: Diameter 47 mm, brushed bronze.
- Bezel: Brushed bronze with polished edges, anti-clockwise unidirectional rotating bezel with graduated scale for calculating the time of immersion and ratchet click at minute intervals.
- Back: Brushed titanium with see-through sapphire crystal. Device protecting the crown: (protected as a trademark) Brushed bronze.
- Dial: Green with applied luminous hour markers. Date at 3 o’clock, seconds at 9 o’clock, power reserve indicator at 5 o’ clock.
- Crystal: Sapphire, made of corundum, 2.9 mm thick. Anti-reflective coating.
- Water-resistance: 30 bar (~ 300 metres).
- Strap: Panerai personalised leather strap and trapezoidal brushed titanium buckle. Supplied with a second interchangeable strap and a steel screwdriver.
- Reference: PAM00507.