When it comes to aspirational timepieces luxury brand MB&F is right at the forefront. Owner Maximilian Büsser is a man of extraordinary talents with an ultra impressive CV.
In 1998 at the age of just 31 he was appointed managing director of Harry Winston Rare Timepieces. This association led to the development of the iconic Opus series of watches.
In 2005 MB&F (Maximilian Büsser & Friends) was founded. The ideology behind the company was to combine the collective talents of numerous independent horological professionals. The results have culminated in some of the most exciting watches available on the market including the magnificent Horological Machine N°3 N Megawind.
The Megawind is based on the highly successful design used in HM3 series. This amazing design is truly mind blowing & utterly seducing to the eye. The case of the watch measures a formidable 47mm x 50mm x 17mm excluding the lugs & crown. There is no mistaking this is a large timepiece that is bound to make a bold visual statement. The watch is available in a choice of 18k white gold/titanium or 18k red gold/titanium. This material & the ergonomic design should make this piece very comfortable to wear.
The composition of the Megawind incorporates all the brilliant design elements of the HM3 with a few improved modifications. Principally the three dimension cones have redesigned flattened silhouettes. This subtle style adjustment provides the recipient with a second display of the hours & minutes. I personally love the huge 22k gold and titanium-winding rotor visible through a large sapphire aperture on the face of the watch. The new giant rotor has extended its reach to the very limits of the case – giving this Machine its name, ‘MegaWind’. The rotor’s centre and arms, crafted in lightweight and tough titanium, are firmly riveted to the 22k gold blades on either side.
Underneath the watch’s perfectly constructed exterior lies an ingenious piece of engineering. This marvelous 36 jewel automatic movement is designed by Jean-Marc Wiederrecht & comprises 270 components oscillating at a frequency of 28,800 bph. The Megawind is provided with a custom designed strap made from black hand-stitched alligator.
MB&F Megawind Technical Specifications:
- Three-dimensional horological engine designed by Jean-Marc Wiederrecht / Agenhor; Sowind oscillator and gear train
- Balance oscillating at 28,800 bph
- Automatic winding rotor in 3 parts: hub in titanium with outer sections in 22K gold, fastened with 4 rivets
- Time indications transmitted via ceramic ball bearings
- Number of jewels: 36 (all functional)
- Number of components: 270
- Hours on one cone
- Minutes on second cone
- Available in 18k white gold/titanium or 18k red gold/titanium
- Screwed-down crown
- Dimensions (exclusive of crown and lugs): 47mm x 50mm x 17mm
- Number of case components: 52
- Sapphire cones and front and back display crystals have anti-reflective treatment on both faces
Strap & Buckle:
- Black hand-stitched alligator with 18k gold and titanium custom designed folding buckle
By Steve Huyton
For more information on Steve Huyton, visit his website www.totalwatchreviews.com