The newly launched Unlock competition offers artists an opportunity to win a week-long exhibition at Marylebone’s design studio SoShiro and a stay in its luxury artists’ residence.
The ‘Unlock’ competition is the brainchild of the design studio SoShiro, which is situated in Marylebone, London. To enter, artists must submit work created during the lockdown period for a chance to showcase their art at The Artistry gallery located just a stone’s throw from Oxford Street.
SoShiro’s Creative Director, Shiro Muchiri celebrates the work of artists and artisans from around the world by collaborating with them to create beautiful, high-end furniture, homeware and art. Still, with her collaborators also on lockdown, she has been using social media to support the creative community, sharing artists’ work to her own following.
Now, she has taken the step of offering a show as a way to profile the overall winner, giving creatives something to work towards and look forward to after lockdown.
Commenting on the launch, Shiro says: “With the ‘Unlock’ competition, we want to unite the online creative community and provide a worthwhile platform for up-and-coming artists to showcase their unique talents to a much wider audience. The theme of ‘Unlock your Spirit’ is about inviting artists to embrace their creative side during this lockdown period and express themselves through their art.”
The competition is open to artists of all kinds, from photographers and painters to sculptors and submissions can be of 2D or 3D pieces.
Shiro will review all entries herself, before selecting a shortlist of 20 to take before a panel of industry-leading judges including renowned art consultant and curator, Katerina Maginnis.
The show is provisionally planned to take place in late September, although SoShiro acknowledges this may be moved depending on the length of the UK’s lockdown.
To enter the ‘Unlock’ competition, artists are invited to post an image or video of their artwork on Instagram and tag @so.shiro, along with the hashtags #ArtistsSupportingArtists and #UnlockYourSpirit by 30th June 2020.
All submissions must meet the following criteria:
- The artist must be able to demonstrate the relevance of his/her piece and how the lockdown constraints inspired them to create the artwork. He/ She must also show how they feel the piece aligns with the concept of ‘Unlock your Spirit’.
- To qualify for the final solo show prize, the artist must be able to provide a digital image of the work.
- The work should be made available for the agreed-upon period of the show, factoring in shipping time, delivery dates and installation.
- The submitted entry (the work) must be original, created in any media format.
- All work entered into the competition must have been completed while in isolation.
Read more art-related articles in our dedicated section here.