Unfiltered the latest whisky series from independent whisky cask and bespoke bottle specialist, Cask 88, launches on 21st July. The label Unfiltered represents the brand’s acknowledgement of the core values of Whisky. 100% substance without any additions, and Cask 88 strives to showcase what independent bottlers bring to the whisky industry.
We do like Whisky here at Luxurious Magazine and always looking for new brands and labels to sample. The latest range from Cask 88 is intriguing because it is titled Unfiltered. This relates to the production process of each of the four whiskies.
The unique whiskies are all single cask, unblended expressions that can not be reproduced once the supply has been savoured. Each one is ephemeral, presenting each cask as its entity. The whiskies will be bottled straight from the cask and will remain utterly untampered, i.e. No additions, no colouring, no filtering and no dilution.
Glen Garioch 12-Year-Old
A Honeyed and Heather-Rich Single Malt of the Highlands
- Cask no. 640
- Distilled 19.02.2009; Bottled 05.03.2021
- Cask type Refill Bourbon Barrel
- 59.4% ABV; 70cl
- RRP £70
- 230 bottles
- Nose: Floral, like a summer garden in bloom – predominantly honeysuckle and roses, and freshly mown grass. A hint of pears and vanilla.
- Palate: Syrupy pear tart, orchard fruits, vanilla, and heavy on the spice – nutmeg, cinnamon, close – with a dose of honey and coconut. Roasted coffee beans. Creamy mouthfeel.
- With Water: An abundance of cooked orchard fruit and floral notes return as fragrant foraged berries – blackcurrants, strawberries, cherries—a polished oak table.
Caol Ila 13-Year-Old
- Rocky and rugged Hebridean malt that smoulders
- Cask no. 317318
- Distilled 24.10.2007; Bottled 11.02.2021
- Cask type Refill Bourbon Hogshead
- 57.7% ABV; 70cl
- RRP £90
- 270 bottles
- Nose: Blackcurrants. Malt loaf Oat biscuits. Mineral salts. The dying embers of a beach fire.
- Palate: Sweet start. Barley mash. Salted popcorn, some burnt kernels. Black olives in oil. Oak panels. Smoky nutmeg finish.
- With Water: Victoria sponge fingers by a campfire. Olive oil and seaweed.
North British 32-Year-Old
Bright and citrussy grain whisky from the distant 20th century
- Cask no. 213649
- Distilled 28.02.1989; Bottled 05.03.2021
- Cask type Refill Bourbon Barrel
- 46.7% ABV; 70cl
- RRP £110
- 215 bottles
- Nose: Aromatic, short aromas. Mashed gooseberry, damp straw and flowering gorse, aged Calvados. Coconut creams. Apple and elderberry crumble.
- Palate: Lemon rind. Grapefruit and aromatic floral oils. Moving into butter shortcrust pastry, then sharp turn into warming and woody finish.
- With Water: Still citrusy – lemons and limes. Notes of a classic gin and tonic, even hints of quinine. Puffed wheat and vanilla attend.
Indulgent dessert-style single malt from the Isle of Mull
- Cask no. 18206
- Distilled 08.11.2005; Bottled 01.06.2020
- Cask type 1st Fill Oloroso Sherry Hogshead
- 59.6% ABV; 70cl
- RRP £140
- 230 bottles
- Nose: Parma violets. Dried strawberries with condensed milk, dark caramel. Spiced ginger biscuits. Oak.
- Palate: Walnut crumble dressed in mint. Flambeed crepes with maple syrup. Unwatered Ribena.
- With Water: Oaky, soft raspberries. Black Liquorice. Old wooden barn.
About Cask 88
In 2008 Cask 88 founders embarked on the journey of a lifetime, touring the world’s most iconic Scottish distilleries to satisfy a deep-seated passion for fine Whisky. Their appreciation grew for the craftsmanship, care, and vision required to produce a mere drop of “liquid gold” with each visit. They began sharing their aspirations with others, and it became apparent that they were not alone. From leading connoisseurs to budding enthusiasts, a universal desire existed to own a cask.
The company are among the world’s foremost experts in rare and antique Whisky. What started as a small, family-owned business has become a globally recognised brand for high-end Whisky. Today, we serve clients around the globe from their six international locations in Scotland, Singapore, Japan, China, Macau and the Philippines.
Services have been expanded to include cask procurement, cask storage, bespoke bottle design and sourcing antique releases. Cask 88 leverages an unparalleled global network with a great passion for luxury spirits to bring exclusive opportunities to private collectors, hotels, restaurants, luxury brands, and retail shops worldwide. The dedicated team takes great pride in helping clients purchase or design a whisky perfectly suited to their individual needs.
Cask 88 Unfiltered Range – Where and How?
The series features a range of four whiskies.
- Glen Garioch 12-Year-Old: A Honeyed and Heather-Rich Single Malt of the Highlands – RRP £70
- Caol Ila 13-Year-Old: Rocky and rugged Hebridean malt that smoulders – RRP £90
- North British 32-Year-Old: Bright and citrussy grain whisky from the distant 20th century – RRP £110
- Ledaig 14-Year-Old: Indulgent dessert-style single malt from the Isle of Mull – RRP £140
For more information, visit www.cask88.com.
Read more spirits industry guides, reviews and features here.