This month, Luxurious Magazine takes a look at The Glenlivet Founder’s Reserve whisky. We were amongst the first in the world to sample the blend with the help of Ian Logan, International Global Ambassador for The Glenlivet.
The Glenlivet Founder’s Reserve is a single malt that draws on almost 200 years of heritage, and is a non-age whisky.
Created to honour the original vision of its pioneering founder George Smith, The Glenlivet Founder’s Reserve pays tribute to the uniquely smooth and fruity style he first envisioned in 1824.
George Smith was born in 1792, on a small hillside farm in Glenlivet – a remote valley in the Scottish Highlands. George Smith became the first distiller in the Highlands to obtain a license for distillation and, in 1824, he established The Glenlivet on what was once a farm distillery called Upper Drummin.
Crafted using the same time-honoured techniques introduced by George Smith himself, the characteristic flavour of The Glenlivet Founder’s Reserve is drawn from a range of traditional-aged oak casks, renowned for creating a fruity profile. This is complemented by selective use of first-fill American oak casks, which impart a delicious, contemporary twist of creaminess.
The Glenlivet’s believe an expression born of traditional craftsmanship and modern innovation is a fitting homage to the original innovator of The Glenlivet.
The Glenlivet Founder’s Reserve is dominated by Gentle citrus aromas of sweet orange followed by sweet and zesty notes of oranges and pears, with hints of candy and toffee apples. It is also exceptionally well-balanced and smooth, with a long and creamy finish.
The Glenlivet Fact Box:
- The Glenlivet is currently the No. 2 single malt whisky in the world and the No.1 single malt in the US
- It has been crafted in the remote Livet Valley since 1824
- The Glenlivet was bought by Pernod Ricard in 2001 as part of their joint acquisition with Diageo of Seagram
- In 2007, it became only the second single malt whisky to sell over 500,000 cases in a single year
- 30,000 litres of whisky are distilled every day, and The Glenlivet uses 125,000 American bourbon casks (lined with charcoal) in a 12 month period
- Products are distributed in 100 countries, and one bottle is sold every three seconds around the world
- The Glenlivet Founder’s Reserve is available from The Whisky Shop (www.whiskyshop.com).
For more information visit: www.theglenlivet.com