In what promises to be an amazing celebration of the culinary art, Sofitel So Bangkok has invited 12 internationally renowned chefs to lead a 5-day event that offers both cooking classes by the masters and the opportunity to tastes their combined skills in unparalleled lunches and set-menu dinners.
Tuesday 25 September until Saturday 29 September 2012 – The excitement of cooking, the joy of dining and the thrill of the first ever culinary showdown.
All 12 chefs belong to the event’s partner, “Village de Chefs”, the site through which members, French or French-speaking professionals working abroad, share their experiences for the enrichment of French gastronomy throughout the world.
Titled So Amazing Chefs 2012, this gastronomic extravaganza offers various options, from morning and afternoon master cooking classes, held in various of the hotel’s distinctive restaurants and conducted by the maestros, to themed lunches and unique set-menu dinners where each of six or nine courses are prepared by a different chef for truly magnifique culinary experiences.
The highlight of the event, on Thursday 27th September, will be a “Culinary Showdown” with 10 chefs, each at their own individual cooking stations, giving virtuoso displays of their skills. Here, stunningly presented in the hotel’s Ballroom, guests will get a close-up view of the culinary maestros at work, while Thai celebrity chefs will judge and add to the excitement. All proceeds from this Culinary Showdown will be donated to the CCF Foundation under the Royal Patronage of HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn to help needy children.
“The highlight of the event, on Thursday 27th September, will be a “Culinary Showdown” with 10 chefs, each at their own individual cooking stations, giving virtuoso displays of their skills.”Sofitel So Bangkok will also work with Vatel International Business School at Silpakorn University to allow a group of talented Thai students who are studying Hotel and Tourism Management to have an opportunity to work with these world-class chefs in the kitchens for their own development and skills enhancement
SO, 12 chefs from 8 countries form a prestigious line-up in a unique culinary event starring:
- Stephane Bonnat, Voiron, France – famed as the “Oldest Chocolate Maker”, being the current maître-chocolatier of the renowned Bonnat chocolate family business in Voiron, France, established in 1884.
- Sebastien Bouillet, Lyon, France – “The Creative Spirit”, French pastry chef and owner of pastry shops in Lyon and Tokyo, as well as the founder, along with Chef Eric Bergon, of the Gateau Ecole in Vieux-Lyon.
- Alain Caron, Amsterdam, Holland – “The Showbiz Chef”, judge of the Dutch TV “Masterchef” series who, born in Paris, has worked for many 3-Michelin-star chefs, such as Troisgras and Marc Meneau, and now based in Amsterdam is the organizer of key international events for Michelin-star chefs.
- Pierre-Yves Lebihan, Houston, USA –“Well-Traveled Chef”, French born and has worked across the globe for high-end restaurants and hotels. He has worked in Trinidad, which he calls home now, for the last six years and has chosen to pass on his passion of cooking to students of the Culinary Institute LeNôtre.
- Didier Corlou, Hanoi, Vietnam – “An amazing chef” with an equally amazing lifestyle, Frenchman Didier has travelled the world, cooking for presidents in Africa, showbiz stars in Bora Bora, royalty in Malaysia and in Cambodia. His accolades include Master Chef of France, Member of the French Culinary Academy, and 5 Diamond stars award winner.
- Christian Echterbille, Houston, USA – “The Team Spirit Chef” has devoted 41 years to the culinary profession, working both at Belgium’s Michelin starred restaurants and in educating students. A member of the prestigious Academie Culinaire de France and Culinary World Cup medalist, he is also the co-founder of the Village des Chefs, an international group of French-speaking chefs.
- Marc Friederich, Paarl, South Africa – Chef and Sommelier, Marc was born in Strasburg and has cooked for several Michelin star chefs, while in 1991he was named Best Swiss Sommelier. After moving to South Africa in 1995, he opened his own restaurant where the key to its success is the perfect pairing of wine and cuisine. Among numerous honours, he was a Diamond award winner from 2007-2011
- Patrick Jeffroy, Brittany, France – “Multi Star Chef” Patrick draws on the sea and earth of Brittany for the best produce to create Breton gourmet cuisine that is simple and natural, and which has won him 2 Michelin stars. He is also a member of the Grand Tables of the World, and award winner for the best sea book in 2011.
- Chris Salans, Bali, Indonesia – “Fifty Best World Chef”, Chris was born in the USA and after studying in Boston he moved to Paris where he worked with many 3 Michelin star chefs such as Lucas Carton. Following a spell back in the USA, he settled in Bali and opened his own restaurant, “Mosaic”, to enormous success and winning a number of awards, including 50 Best Restaurants in the World.
- Paul Smart, Bangkok, Thailand – Chef of Park Society @ Sofitel So Bangkok, Paul served his apprenticeship at the Ritz London, while other highlights when working in the UK included cooking for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and winning the UK Commis Chef of the Year award. Back in his native Australia he played a prominent role at the multi-award winning Room81 restaurant.
- Romain Valicon, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic – “The New Generation Chef”, Romain started his career with the famous Paul Bocuse in France and then worked as executive pastry chef for Master Chef Tetedois. Today, the 5 Diamond awards AAA winner and French Culinary Academy member heads the kitchen team of the small leading hotel in Punta Cana.
- Nicolas A. Vienne, Bangkok, Thailand – “Executive Chef @ So Bangkok”, Nicolas began his career at the prestigious George V Hotel in Paris and subsequently broadened his early training at Plaza Athenee Hotel and Alain Ducasse Restaurant, both in the French capital and both with three Michelin stars. After considerable international experience, he joined the Accor Group in 2007 and was named Accord Group Award Winning Chef in 2011.
With such a star line up, So Amazing Chefs 2012 is a worthy addition to the culinary ateliers hosted at Sofitel So Bangkok, much to the delight of local gourmets, will become one of the most exciting culinary event in Bangkok.