Gustafsson and Sjögren timepieces are instantly recognisable with their incredible use of Damascus steel. The new GoS Winter Nights continues this strong tradition and adds even more
Winter Nights was introduced in 2013 as the first GoS model with a manufacture movement, which was the result of a collaboration with famed German watchmaker Martin Braun. The Scandinavian masters of Damascus steel have now introduced a new Winter Nights with a GoS02 movement that is manufactured by Technotime and customized in the GoS workshop. The base caliber is the Technotime TT718, which beats at 4Hz (28,800) and has a double barrel to provide a long power reserve of 120 hours or five days. The new GoS Winter Nights will be available in both a stainless steel version and a bicolor gold version with a case that combines parts in solid 18K gold with stainless Damascus steel.
Winter Nights, “Vinternätter” in Swedish, is the name of an ancient festival that was first celebrated in pre-Christian Scandinavia. The festival marked the end of summer, the start of the winter, and the beginning of a new year. It was a harvest feast and also a time for honouring the ancestral spirits, the spirits of the land, and the powers of fruitfulness, wisdom, and death. The exact dates varied with the regional weather, but it usually occurred during the month of October. This heathen tradition was later transformed into what is now called the “All Hallows’ Eve” and “All Saints’ Day”.
The GoS Winter Nights Gold- A marriage of Damascus steel and gold
The GoS Winter Nights case is specifically designed to provide reflections between the two different materials. The reflections of red gold onto the polished Damascus steel is striking and we believe that the Swedish “red gold” (3N) is a perfect companion to the natural contrasts of the hand forged Damascus steel. The dial is manufactured from two different types of Swedish steel that are forged together and folded to reach a total of 192 layers before Johan Gustafsson applies his trademark techniques to create the wildflower pattern. Given the nature of Damascus steel, every GoS watch is a unique piece and is numbered in sequence.
The watchmakers draw inspiration from Nordic nature and traditions and their new GoS Winter Nights is no exception – it is connected to both sources of inspiration. During the cold and clear winter nights, the chances of seeing the spectacular northern lights are the highest and the swirling patterns of the Winter Nights dial is reminiscent of the rapidly changing shapes of the northern lights.
File worked crown
File work is used by the most skilled knife makers to enhance their work. A knife with handmade file work transcends the everyday knife from utilitarian to a functional work of art. The first two GoS watches that were manufactured in 2008 had file work applied to the Titanium case back. GoS decided to re-introduce this technique to their watches by applying it to the Damascus steel crown. We designed the file work pattern to consist of nine indentations on each side as the numbers three and nine are both significant numbers in Norse mythology. Patrik Sjögren´s file work not only adds new details and reflections but also makes the crown more tactile and easier to grip.
Production specification – GoS Winter Nights
Watch series – GoS Winter Nights
- Case: 43.5mmx10.5mm (5ATM)
○ Steel version: Stainless steel and stainless Damascus steel
○ Gold: 18K red gold and stainless Damascus steel
- Lug width: 22mm
- Glass: Flat sapphire glass with double sided AR coating, extra hard on outside
- Movement: GoS02 caliber based on Technotime TT718 and manufactured to COSC specifications. The movement has a center second hand and ticks at 4Hz (28,800) with a 120-hour power reserve. The movements are available in several options:
- Classic finishing with deep polished beveled edges and satin top.
- Damascus steel finishing with bridges in hand forged woodgrain Damascus steel.
- Hand engravings by Swedish master engraver Stanley Stoltz.
- Dial: 192 layered steel Damascus steel with a wildflower pattern. Tempered coloring of dial available as an option.
- Index ring/rehaut: Solid 18K red gold, shaped and polished by hand, GoS triskele symbol in 18K red gold fitted on the dial
- Hands: Solid 18K red gold shaped and polished by hand
- Crown: 8.5mm in fine-grained stainless Damascus stainless steel, file worked edge, double gasket crown inset
- Case finishing: Stainless Damascus steel, high gloss polished with GoS logo engraved on case side
- Strap: Handcrafted Moose leather fitted with stainless steel GoS buckle or 18K buckle for the gold version.
- Each timepiece is engraved with its production number
- Five-year guarantee
- Individually crafted box in svepask technique of birch wood
- Colored with natural pigments mixed in linseed oil
- Covered with high-grade natural wax and polished to a deep finish
First deliveries of the new GoS Winter Nights takes place during Autumn 2015