Do you miss travelling to your favourite Aman resort? Fret not. Ong Chin Huat experiences five new Aman fragrances inspired by five iconic Aman properties each evoking the sybaritic spirit of each destination in a bottle.
For Aman aficionados – or more casually referred to as Aman Junkies – not being able to jet off to their favourite Aman destination, be it the serenity of the Amandari which is nestled among the lush greenery of the Ubud hills in Bali or the Amangiri, a remote hideaway within the luminous canyons of the American Southwest, must be a tortuous experience second to none.
So what’s the antidote?
Well, the next best alternative must be spritzing Aman’s latest range of fine fragrances – five distinctly sophisticated scents which reflect the true essence of Aman’s unique and incomparable destinations.
With scents being a powerful memory trigger, you can take your cherished Aman memories anywhere you go, conveniently encased in Kengo Kuma-designed 50ml Eau de parfum bottles. Created by master perfumer Jacques Chabert, Aman fragrances are gender-neutral which have the ability to evoke emotions and transport the wearer to the time when they last stayed at their favoured Aman destination.
Born in Grasse, the capital of perfumery, Chabert has been the nose of many distinguished and iconic fragrances in his 50-plus years in the perfume industry.
Chairman and CEO of Aman, Vladislav Doronin believes that the spirit of Aman is an emotion that can be felt at each of Aman’s hotels and resorts. “In launching Aman Fine Fragrance, I feel that we have answered the call of our most devoted guests who have personally expressed their desire for such a range and I hope that in turn, we can evoke contented memories of time well spent in our destinations,” he says.
With a spare and minimalist aesthetic, the shape of the Aman fragrance bottle complements the Aman Skincare range which was launched in 2018. Reflecting the five different Aman destinations with the subtle use of colour, each bottle has its own specially selected tone, inspired by the resort’s local environment, surrounding nature and cultural sensibilities.
Presented in a handcrafted Paulownia wooden box made in Japan – the Paulownia tree is one of the fastest-growing trees and hence a sustainable choice – this reusable container is hand-wrapped with the traditional Japanese wrapping technique using exquisite Takeo paper.
The Aman Fine Fragrance Collection
- Vayu – Inspired by Amanpuri in Thailand, Vayu means wind in Sanskrit. With the top notes of Bergamot, Lemongrass and Coconut blending into Tuberose, Jasmine and aquatic notes and finally ending with the base notes Musk and Sandalwood, the fresh and citrusy fragrance will uplift your mood any time of the year.
- Ayom – Inspired by Amanjiwo in Indonesia this deep, dramatic and complex fragrance evokes mystery and the unknown, much like the ancient temples of Borobudur themselves. Cardamom and Elemi give way to ginger and Juniper while the lingering scent of Oakmoss and Cedarwood leaves a fragrant trail in your wake.
- Umbr – Inspired by Aman Venice in Italy. The grand 16th century Palazzo of Aman Venice provides the main theme for this rich and layered fragrance which combines the depth of oak and leather. A tinge of spiciness, courtesy of Black Pepper, Rose and Saffron mixed with Geranium and Amber adds a shroud of glamour to this irresistible fragrance.
- Zuac – Inspired by Amanjena in Morocco. The colours of the Red City and its ancient Medina is the main inspiration for this Tangerine, Clove Buds and Frankincense infused fragrance. Rooted within the scent structure of this fragrance is the imagery of the Moorish architecture of Marrakech and its surrounding desert landscape.
- Alta – Inspired by Aman New York, (opening in spring 2021) the spirit of the city that never sleeps is captured in this big apple fragrance. Juniper Berries, Cypriol Orris, Patchouli and Vetyver has the olfactory power to make you feel like you are the king of the hill and top of the heap any place you are.
For more information on the Aman Fine Fragrances, please visit www.shop.aman.com.
Read more lifestyles articles and guides in our dedicated section here.