Known for their innovative, sustainable approach to coffee, independent coffee roaster, Kiss the Hippo share some tips on how to recreate the specialty coffee experience at home.
Head of Coffee Josh Tarlo says: “The French Press is the coffee brewer many of us grew up with, and it’s a perfect entry into home brewing. With a little precision in your preparation, you can get a coffee that leaps better and tastes sweeter and more vibrant than you’ve ever had before.”
Tools needed for a French Press Coffee
- Step 1: Place the French Press on a scale, add 21g of freshly ground coffee and press tare
- Step 2: Start the timer and add 300g of water just off the boil, taking care to saturate all the grounds
- Step 3: After four minutes, vigorously stir for 5 seconds and place the plunger on top. Don’t press just yet; it’s there to seal in the heat.
- Step 4: After two minutes, lift up the plunger and scoop out any grounds left on top to avoid bitterness.
- Step 5: Put the plunger back on and press 2/3 of the way down.
- Step 6: Serve immediately to stop the coffee from over extracting.
All products can be purchased from Kiss the Hippo’s online store HERE.
For award-winning coffee delivered straight to your door, Kiss the Hippo has recently launched Kiss the Hippo at Home coffee subscription service. With seasonality in mind, Kiss the Hippo ethically source exceptional coffee from quality-focused producers around the globe.
It is then carefully roasted in-house using the most environmentally friendly roaster, the Loring Smart Roaster, preserving its individual flavour identity and terroir.
Customers can order their very own customised bags of coffee delivered directly to their door every week. Roasted carbon neutral, you will be able to choose from three options:
An ever-changing selection of single-origin coffees that rotate depending on seasonality
George Street Blend
Organic certified seasonal espresso blend – fruit-forward, chocolatey and sweet
A classic, seasonal espresso featuring more traditional notes of dark chocolate and molasses
Each coffee is sustainably roasted in small batches in Kiss the Hippo’s Richmond site and rested for 48 hours before being dispatched in letterbox-friendly boxes. All coffee comes with a choice of 250g or 1kg bag and can be delivered every week, fortnight or month directly through the letterbox starting at £9 per shipment.
Kiss the Hippo at Home can also be purchased as a gift for the coffee lover in your life. Available as either a three-month or six-month subscription, a 250g bag of roaster’s choice, single-origin coffee will be delivered to the recipient either every week, two weeks or month starting at £42.
Read more lifestyle news articles in our dedicated section here.