The absolute darkness which rules in the depths of the sea is reflected in the appearance of the Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Automatic Ceramica, the new Officine Panerai Special Edition.
With its matt ceramic case, its P.9000 manufacture movement and the details inspired by the historic heritage of the brand, represents a perfect synthesis of history, technology and watchmaking design.
The Luminor 1950 case, with the black ceramic bridge protecting and sealing the winding crown, is made of sandblasted black ceramic, a material synthesised from zirconium oxide powder which is both light and tough as well being resistant to scratches, corrosive agents, and high temperatures. The classic shape of the case 47 mm in diameter is created by a complex series of working and finishing operations which also give it a particularly uniform, smooth matt appearance.
The unidirectional rotating bezel enabling the length of the dive to be determined is made of the same matt ceramic as the case. The only colour which contrasts with the profound black of the case and of the dial is the ecru Super-LumiNova® on the applied hour markers, the graduated scale and the partially skeletonised hands. The date window is at three o’clock while the classic Panerai small seconds dial is positioned at nine o’clock. The case is sealed by a titanium back coated in black, with a S.L.C. torpedo engraved in the middle, and hosts the hand-wound mechanical calibre P.9000, entirely developed and executed in the Panerai manufacture in Neuchâtel.
With a diameter of 13¾ lignes, 28 jewels, a variable inertia balance and Incabloc® anti-shock protection, the P.9000 movement is notable for the precision of its construction. It has two spring barrels which are constantly wound by a weight oscillating in both directions, providing a power reserve of three days. The movement also has a convenient system for adjusting the hour hand which can be moved forward or backwards in steps of exactly one hour, at the same time also changing the date displayed.
The Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Automatic Ceramica (PAM00508) is water resistant to 30 bar (300 metres) and it is supplied with a black calf leather strap, fastened by a large trapezoid-shaped buckle in brushed titanium coated in black. It has been produced in an edition limited to 1,000 examples.
- Functions: Hours, minutes, small seconds, date, and calculation of immersion time. Case: Diameter 47 mm, black ceramic.
- Bezel: Black ceramic anti-clockwise unidirectional rotating bezel with graduated scale for calculating the time of immersion and ratchet click at minute intervals.
- Back: Screw, titanium with special hard black coating. Device protecting the crown: (protected as a trademark) Black ceramic.
- Dial: Black with applied luminous hour markers. Date at 3 o’clock, seconds at 9 o’clock.
- Crystal: Sapphire, made of corundum, 4 mm thick. Anti-reflective coating.
- Water-resistance: 30 bar (~ 300 metres).
- Strap: Panerai personalised leather strap and trapezoidal titanium buckle with special hard black coating. Supplied with a second interchangeable strap and a steel screwdriver.
- Reference: PAM00508.