The co-founder of GoS Patrik Sjögren contacted us with news of the brands latest offering – the limited edition Nordic Seasons – Gold and we must admit, it is a rather splendid looking timepiece indeed!
The Nordic Seasons – Gold combines hand forged damascus steel with solid 18K gold details in the Swedish red gold nuance, also known as pink gold.
The Nordic Seasons case is designed to provide reflection between the two different materials. The reflections of red gold onto the polished damascus steel is striking and we believe that the Swedish red gold is a perfect companion to the natural contrasts of the handforged damascus steel. The dial is manufactured from two different Swedish tool steels that are forged together and folded to reach a total of 192 layers before Patrik’s opposite number – Johan Gustafsson applies his trademark techniques to create the wildflower pattern. Given the nature of damascus steel, every Nordic Season – Gold is a unique piece and is numbered in sequence as beffiting any limited edition collection.
Patrik receives the dial and other damascus steel parts for machining and further work in the GoS workshop where he also manufactures the hands and dial details in gold. The finishing of the damascus steel movement parts has been further improved in comparison to the previous GoS models such as the Aurora. The bridges are made from one solid piece of woodgrain patterned damascus steel and Patrik’s goal with the finishing is to optimize the contrasts within the pattern itself and also between the seemingly raw steel and the high gloss polished bevels and holes.
File work is used by the most skilled knife makers to enhance their work and a knife with handmade file work transcends the tool from a utility to functional art. The first two GoS watches that were manufactured in 2008 had file work applied to the Titanium case back. GoS decided to re-introduce this technique to the the watches by applying it to the damascus steel crown. The numbers three and nine are both significant numbers in Norse mythology, which is why we designed the pattern to consist of nine indentations on each side. The file work not only adds new details and highlights but also improves the grip.
The production of the first six Nordic Seasons – Gold watches will begin in January 2015 so if you want one, you’d better quick!
GoS Nordic Seasons – Gold Specifications
- Case: 18K red gold and stainless damascus steel 44/45mmx10mm (10ATM)
- Lug width: 22mm
- Glass: Flat sapphire glass with AR coating
- Movement: ETA 6498, refinished and improved to chronometre grade by the swiss company Soprod
- Movement GoS customization: Bridges made from one piece of handforged damascus steel with a woodgrain pattern. Mainplate handfinished and plated with Black Rhodium to a dark grey nuance.
- Dial: 192 layered steel Damascus steel with a wildflower pattern
- Index ring/rehaut: Solid 18K red gold, shaped and polished by hand
- Hands: Solid 18K red gold shaped and polished by hand
- Crown: 9mm in finegrained stainless damascus stainless steel, fileworked edge, double gasket crown inset
- Case finishing: Stainless damascus steel, high gloss polished with GoS logo engraved on case side
- Strap: Handcrafted soft nubuck leather, fitted with GoS stainless steel buckle
- Every watch engraved with its production number
- A limited edition of 12 pieces