Following on from dragons and skulls, the third work in the collection, the Angelus watch by Daniel Strom is somewhat more restrained – or at least its form is less provocative – with angels adorning the sculpted case.
A creation into which the watchmaker has breathed all the spirit of AGONIUM – watches that do not simply tell the time, but also express our existential questions ; a creation that highlights his reflections and gives great symbolic significance to time. And angels are undoubtedly the quintessential symbol of the spiritual order: winged messengers, beings of light, imbued with divine functions, to whom we willingly attribute the role of protector. Ever-present in the imagination, they embody the bridge between the material and symbolic worlds, God and His creatures. A force that directly raises the question of our origins, a force whose invisible presence is only rarely materialised – something now achieved with “Angelus”.
And Daniel Strom certainly has an eye for detail. The sculptor works with materials and enhances their nobility. Plated onto an original mould, gold, silver, platinum and palladium are crafted by the expert strokes of the goldsmith, giving rise to unique pieces. The case of the “Angelus” is embellished with a wealth of details, curves, incisions and finishes. Feathers twirl around the crown – a symbol reflected on the lugs.
The two sides of the Angelus case feature two reclining angels and a crouching messenger, wings spread out as if ready to fly. Behind the anti-reflective, domed sapphire crystal, the white or dark mother-of-pearl dial plays with contrasts with the Roman numerals and golden, polished hands. Like the Memento Mori or Draco, three hands count the hours, minutes and seconds. At the heart of the Angelus timepiece, a second case surrounds the automatic ETA 2824 movement.
A whole host of details that endow “Angelus” with its full metaphorical depth.
Daniel Strom Angelus watch specifications:
- Movement: Mechanical self-winding Calibre ETA 2824
- Functions: Hours, minutes and seconds
- Case: 925 solid silver, 18K gold, palladium or platinum, Stainless steel inner case, Anti-reflective, domed sapphire crystal, Water-resistant to 50m / 5 ATM
- Dial: White or dark mother-of-pearl, Gold-toned or white polished steel hands
- Strap: Brown, blue, black or white alligator leather with 925 solid silver, 18K gold, palladium or platinum “Angelus” pin buckle
- 925 solid silver model, 88-piece limited edition, CHF 9,999
- 925 solid silver model, with angels and crown in 18K red gold, 88-piece limited edition, CHF 10,999
- Palladium model: 44-piece limited edition, CHF 19,999
- Red gold model (18K): 44-piece limited edition, CHF 27,555 Depending on current metal prices
- Platinum model: 12-piece limited edition, CHF 59,999 Depending on current metal prices